Friday, October 21, 2011

A Bird Leaving Nest

Published in: The Hislopian Journal, Hislop College, Nagpur

Srishti Mudaliar

On my way home,
Saw a bird leaving its nest.
And thought how it does feel!

Thought of the hardships,
It might have gone through.
Collecting for its nest hundreds of
Small twigs,
Old reeds,
And cotton balls to soften.
The gentle care,
It offered to its offspring,
Feeding it the softest worm,
Grew it up,
Coaxed it to fly,
Taught it to try,
And learn.
On God’s behest,
Did its best.

On my way home,
Saw a bird leaving its nest.
And thought how it does feel!

Thought then of the day when,
I made my little house.
After piling for years hundreds of
Stones,
Concrete,
And bricks.
Nurtured my son
Offered him education,
Grew him up,
Coaxed him to live,
Taught him to believe,
And learn.
On God’s behest,
Did my best.

On my way off home,
When I see the little gate,
Thought what I would feel or do!

Cry, holding the memories that I don’t wish to have
Or linger in a complete oblivion that I don’t wish to have?
Receive a melancholic sadness that I don’t wish to have
Or the happiness and content that I don’t wish to have?

No comments:

Post a Comment